Search



Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Chicken Mole Casserole

I am always messing around with cooking.  Sometimes it works....sometimes, it doesn't.  My sweet husband tells me that it works almost all the time....he's supportive that way.

Chicken Mole Casserole is something that I made up one day when I didn't feel like making whatever I had for dinner.  It's kind of like a lasagna....but with Mexican substitutions.  And, it's tomato-free....because I can't eat tomatoes.

Chicken Mole Casserole




  • 12-inch tortillas; I used 12 total
  • Doa Maria Mole sauce
  • 8 ounces light sour cream
  • 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese
  • 2 cups of precooked chicken (The day before, I toss frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker with salt, pepper, and a half cup of chicken broth.  I cook on high for 3 hours then shred.)
Make the mole sauce.  The Doa Maria sauce comes as a thick paste.  The instructions say to use a 4:1 ratio of broth to the paste.  I use chicken broth (32 ounces) to the 8 ounces or the mole paste.  You simmer until thick.  This is the end result.


After the sauce is made, use my kitchen scissors to cut the tortillas into quarters.  I cut 4 at a time.


Put 1/4 of the mole sauce on the bottom of the pan, just as you would with a lasagna.


Place the quartered tortillas over the sauce to cover the bottom.



Put the shredded, precooked chicken on the tortillas. 


Top with 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and 4 ounces of the light sour cream.  I do it in dollops about in the center of each of the 12 servings.


Top with 1/3 of the Mexican cheese mixture.


Repeat layer.  Then top with a final layer of tortilla, mole sauce, and cheese.


Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

Final product!  It's not pretty....but it's yummy!!!!






No comments: