Search



Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lettuce pallet garden

So, somewhere in my travels, I saw this cool idea to use a pallet to grow things that don't need huge root systems.  One of the items I saw in a pallet was a lettuce garden.  I can't find the exact picture I have in my head that I saw.  It could have been in a website, or a book.  But, it looks something like this.....


So, I researched....like always. Found a variety of instructions.  Mentally compiled and decided to give it a go.

I used one of my donated pallets.  I checked to make sure there was no pressure treated stamp on it.  Don't want arsenic in the lettuce.

So, I put it where I want it to be...because there is NO WAY I am going to move a pallet full of dirt.


I used landscape fabric.  I unrolled it so that it draped on the ground and cut it 6 inches past.  Then I lined up the edges with the edges of the pallet...and started in with the staple gun.





Because the landscaping fabric didn't cover the entire half.  I had to repeat the process with the other side.


Then I turned it on its side and stapled the "extra" to the bottom to create an envelope.

I filled it from the top with dirt.  Then I planted the seeds.



I did the top left side with buttercrunch and the top right side with spinach.  Then the 1st row, I filled with a mesclun mix and the second row, with arugula.

I am planning on doing another planting in 2 weeks to keep the lettuce going in waves.  And I will probably put some herb seeds....maybe mint....in too.

Keeping my fingers crossed.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this going to be vertical or horizontal? I've seen 'em both ways.

Mint has a tendency to take over any given area, and oregano, too.
All the same, I'd like to see how you fare with herbs. Mine are in wine barrels---but those can be pricey. Barrels don't last forever, either; the metal rings start to slip, and the wood breaks down, over time.

Tracey Beck-Campbell said...

It's vertical. And the lettuce is growing well so far. I'm going to add mint in this week to the lower rows.