Search



Monday, February 11, 2013

Decluttering


Today I managed to find new homes for about 70% of the items I have been purging over the last 2 weeks.  I took some of the cookbooks to my MOMs club meeting and of the 15 that I had left, there are only 2 that will be donated shortly to GoodWill.

Later, one of my friends from MOMs came over and took half the games and half the puzzles for her daughter.  She couldn’t have been more thrilled with the new-to-her stuff…and I couldn’t have been more thrilled for it to leave my house. 

Last night, the little guy and I went through his toy cubbies.  We reorganized it.  Gave everything a place.  Went over the “system.”  Put items that didn’t belong in the cubbies away elsewhere.  All in all, it took us about 30 minutes.  We threw out 1 bag of junk parts and pieces (I know….bad for the environment).  And we have a large bag of items that he has outgrown or just doesn’t want to play with.  He was so sweet.  He started apologizing for not wanting something… and I cut that right off.  Told him that I only want him to have things he WANTS…and I want him to be able to SEE them…not dig for them.  Toy pickup tonight was a BREEZE!!!!!  And he seems to appreciate the concept of everything having a place.  Bonus!!!!

I kind of wish I had some weight measurement of what has left our house in the last 2 weeks.  But, at this point, it covered at least half of a 6-person dining room table with the stuff piled about 2-feet high.  I cannot describe the feeling of relief and freedom I have at what’s going.

And, while the friend was visiting, I chatted and mixed up more bread dough that is currently being stored in the fridge for when the loaf I made last night runs out.  It will supposedly keep 2 weeks in the fridge!  Now I just have to stop myself from eating it.  Homemade bread is evilly good.  Evilly.

No comments: