Search



Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chicken Pad See Ew

I love, love, love Asian cooking. It's not all I do, but the flavors just make me happy. Luckily, they mostly make my husband happy too. A few months ago I ran across a recipe in Cooks Illustrated for Stir Fried Noodles. I have adapted it a little to suit my taste, but it's REALLY good. Every time there are leftovers, they rarely make it past 24 hours.

Once I do the prep work...here and there throughout the day, it is a quick and easy dinner.

One of the ways they determined to make the chicken tender was to put it in a baking soda solution.  It changes the pH.  That change makes it cook quickly but stay tender....really tender.

This is what my finished yumminess looks like.


Ingredients
Chile vinegar - this is added to preference in each bowl after serving
1/3 cup rice vinegar (I use seasoned because I love the hint of sweetness against the spicy)
1 teaspoon sriracha
Mix together in a small container and let the flavors blend.

Prep for stir fry
2 lb chicken breast (sliced thinly)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup water
Mix together.  After at least 15 minutes, drain, rinse, pat dry with paper towel

Sauce
1/2 cup oyster sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons fish sauce
Mix together in a small bowl.

Other ingredients
3 eggs (lightly scrambled)
3 cloves of garlic minced (I use a garlic press)
1 lb broccoli cut into small florettes
1/4 cup oil (I use olive oil for pretty much everything)
8 ounces large rice noodles

The how-to
After all the prep work is done.

Heat 6 cups of water to boiling ( I do mine in the microwave for 4 minutes).  Add rice noodles and let soak (needs to be for about 10 minutes (which is about how long the rest of the dish takes).

Heat a nonstick pan over high heat.  Add 2 teaspoons of oil and garlic.  Cook until garlic is golden...but not burnt.

Add 2 teaspoons of oil, 4 tablespoons of sauce, and drained/dried chicken.  Toss in sauce/oil mixture and then DO NOT STIR.  After 2 minutes, stir pan and flip pieces over.

After 2 more minutes, push chicken to one side of pan.  Add 2 more teaspoons of oil on empty side..  Pour lightly beaten eggs into oil.  Scramble eggs  Just as they are getting firm, mix in with cooked chicken.

Empty pan into large bowl.

Add 2 more teaspoons of oil to the now-empty pan.  Add 4 tablespoons of sauce and broccoli.  Toss both together and cover pan for 4 minutes.  Uncover pan and toss broccoli again.  Cook for 2-3 more minutes.

While cooking, drain the rice noodles.

Add to large bowl with chicken/egg mixture.

Add 2 more teaspoons of oil and 4 tablespoons of sauce to again-empty pan. Add in 1/2 the rice noodles.  Toss together and cook (without stirring) for 2-3 minutes. Add to large bowl.  Repeat with remaining oil, sauce and noodles.

Toss all ingredients in large bowl together and serve.  Top with vinegar mixture to taste.

Seriously my favorite meal.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I making this tonight for Valentine's Day! I'm super excited! Pad See Ew is one of our favorites! Thank you for posting this recipe :)